Dealing with tragedy – how to cope when tragedy strikes
Tragedy can take many forms. It can involve personal loss or injury, loss or damage of property, loss experienced by ones dear to us, harm or damage to something we admire or hold dear and loss of health – to name a few. Dealing with tragedy at such a time can be very difficult.
The unfortunate reality is that it can be difficult to avoid; no one is immune. One moment your life can be following its usual delightful path, then quite unexpectedly, things can suddenly change.
So the question is: How do you deal with tragedy?
How do you cope when tragedy strikes?
Here are some things that you can do
- Try to focus on positive things. It’s natural to feel overwhelmed by tragedy, but focusing on positive things can help to ease its intensity
- Surround yourself with those who are close to you and whom you love. Being with those you love is a real source of comfort. Additionally, consider joining a support group
- Take care of yourself by getting sufficient sleep, eating well and being physically active. This can help to fortify your ability to cope
- Take one day at a time. This reduces the feeling of being overwhelmed by the future
- Allow yourself time to come to terms with your tragedy
- If you’re struggling to cope, get help. You may need physical, emotional or spiritual help
- If you need practical assistance by the local authorities, use the PSR app to contact them here
So how can you report using the PSR app?
Make sure that you download it from:
Android PSR app from here
iOS PSR app from here
PSR can help to ease the burden of reporting by making the reporting process easier, faster, less frustrating and interactive, with feedback from the Public Service Provider all the way to resolution.
Additionally, you may find it helpful to read the experiences of ones who have been through a similar tragedy to the one that you have experienced. How did they cope? What helped them to get through the most difficult periods? What advice can they give to fellow sufferers?
Consider keeping a journal to record your feelings. It’s a wonderful to give expression to how you feel.
Dealing with tragedy can be extremely difficult. But taking the above steps can help you to cope.